The world's eco-system acts as the life support systems for all of the life on earth. Humans are an integral part of, and are dependent on this eco-system and we can choose actions that have either a positive or negative effect on the environment and the systems that support all life.
CAT recognises that we are facing an emergency situation with both our climate changing and biodiversity losses and it is vital that we understand the earth's systems and act as good stewards in order that we address this critical situation. We aim to reduce our own impact on the environment as well as pro-actively researching and finding solutions to the urgent environmental issues we are facing.
As an education and demonstration centre, we aim to continually improve our environmental management and performance and comply with all relevant environmental legislation. We will communicate our environmental aims to staff, visitors, suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors and actively encourage others to adopt their own environmental policies.
To reduce our environmental impact and greenhouse gas emissions year on year by monitoring, reducing, optimising and ensuring efficiency of all of our activities and specifically:
- Monitor and reduce consumption of energy (heating, electricity), water and other natural and raw materials, ensuring that all uses are as efficient as possible
- To generate electricity from renewable sources where possible, and optimise their usage
- To monitor and reduce the amount of fossil fuels consumed including fossil fuels for transportation
- To reduce the impacts of our purchasing through the adoption of a sustainable procurement policy
- To reduce the impacts of food, both from the sourcing of food, from the food we buy and sell, to the energy used from preparing our food
- To maintain and increase biodiversity by surveying & appropriately managing our land. To garden organically. To manage our land simultaneously both for biodiversity and also for the development of the human community (e.g woodland products, food production, aesthetics, water management). To protect and enhance ecosystems that enables the capture and storage of atmospheric carbon dioxide.
- Waste: To reduce waste, repair, re-use and recycle waste generated with a firm commitment to the prevention of pollution.